Public Lighting came to Dunmanway in 1911. The site of the power house was in the present day West End Yard, and was power by a mill race coming from near the Cotter and Keane Mill site at Kilbarry Road. The man credited with bringing electricity to Dunmanway was Mr J W Young who spent 20 years trying to prevail on the Board of Guardians to carry out some scheme to light the town. Eventually he succeeded and his work bore fruit, but alas he tragically died just before the scheme was completed. The work was carried on by his electrical engineer Mr Gillespie. The lights were switched on for the first time on January11 th 1911 and it was a brilliant success. The lighting was known as Young’s lamps and was powered by sixteen candle power bulbs, which lit the streets of the town for 6 hours each night. Domestic lighting was also available. After the untimely death of Mr Gillespie in 1927 his widow sold her interest in the powerhouse plant and electric lighting system to the Bandon Electric Lighting Company.